Does Language Influence Culture? - WSJ.com

Steve Black sblack at UCLA.EDU
Wed Jul 28 14:36:51 UTC 2010

Dear all,
I think one of the larger issues we need to face that is represented in Rudi's initial commentary is the general lack of publicly available, easier to digest information about our foci of study.  Linguistic relativity is one of the most complex and still argued concepts within anthropology, and the relationship between language and thought takes many other forms as well (for instance, the issues of awareness of grammatical forms and intentionality/ reflexivity).  Perhaps as a beginning to a solution, we should prepare a short statement about some of the diverse work that has been done?
Best,
Steve Black