Fwd: GURT 2011 call for papers

Cynthia Gordon cyngordon at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 22 17:52:42 UTC 2010

Dear LINGANTH subscribers,

The GURT 2011 call for papers appears below.

Best,

Cynthia Gordon
Syracuse University

 -----Original Message-----
From: Anna Marie Trester <amt23 at georgetown.edu>
To: GU Linguist <gulinguist at listproc.georgetown.edu>
Sent: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 11:23 am
Subject: GURT 2011 call for papers

*Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics (GURT) 2011
Discourse 2.0: Language and New Media
March 10-13, 2011

*

*Deadline for submission of  abstracts:* November 10th, 2010
*Website: *http://www8.georgetown.edu/college/gurt/2011/index.html

*Plenary Speakers*
·       Jannis Androutsopoulos, University of Hamburg
·       Naomi Baron, American University
·       Susan Herring, Indiana University at Bloomington
·       Deborah Tannen, Georgetown University
·       Crispin Thurlow, University of Seattle

*Workshops*
·       Deborah Schiffrin, Georgetown University
·       and more....

*We invite submissions in all areas relevant to language and new media,
including:*
The language of facebook, twitter, and other new media
The language of texting, hypertext, and other new technologies
Identity, Indexicality, and Intertextuality
Language and gender, performance, and narrative

*Possible themes may include*:
How the medium shapes language and social interaction
How language and social interaction affect media
Intergenerational/intercultural communication
Language in medical, educational, legal, workplace, and other contexts

*We welcome a range of approaches, including:*
Anthropological Linguistics
Conversation or Discourse Analysis
Interactional Sociolinguistics
Multimodality