Call for papers, volunteered session, 2010 AAA meetings New Orleans

Elizabeth Anne Falconi elifalco at UMICH.EDU
Sun Mar 7 20:38:05 UTC 2010

AAA Meetings, New Orleans, 2010
Panel Proposal, Call for Papers
Panel Organizers: Kate Graber and Elizabeth Falconi, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Panel Title:  The Tales We (and They) Tell: Stories in Circulation and
the Regimentation of Genre

If you are interested in participating in this panel please send paper
proposals to Elizabeth Falconi <elifalco at umich.edu>, or Kate Graber at
<kegraber at umich.edu>, by March 25th, 2010.

In this panel we will consider the practice of storytelling and
generic regimentation, within the context of this year?s AAA
conference theme of circulation. Stories, and the way they are told,
enacted, or written, are a means of linguistic possibility and of
linguistic constraint. They may illustrate through allegory some kind
of moral ideal, but they also show what should not be done. Genres of
storytelling emerge out of the repeated production and reproduction of
narrative forms, which show some accretion of linguistic and social
authority.  Recent research has brought our attention to how stories
and storytelling become the focus of larger ideological struggles in
terms of ?generic regimentation,? (Bauman 2004, Kroskrity 2009a,
2009b). In the context of language shift and revitalization projects,
which foreground the acquisition of traditional stories and myths,
conceived as potent cultural repositories, such contestations are
bound up with larger debates about the relationship between linguistic
capacity, and belonging/community membership.  The regimentation of
stories, i.e. who can use them, how, and in what social contexts
illuminates the contradictions between idealized models of cultural
authenticity and the exigencies of lived social realities shaped by
histories of structural discrimination, linguistic and cultural
oppression.  The study of stories in such communities can enhance our
understanding about the things that cannot or should not be said in
languages identified as endangered, what is valorized as sayable, and
by whom. (Meek 2007, Muehlmann 2008).

We invite panel papers which explore the following questions: As
different linguistic resources and repertoires circulate among
speakers of a language (or languages), how do the intertextual
relations between those resources and repertoires constrain, direct,
or regiment their further use? How do diverse, seemingly disparate
resources become the features of a genre? If circulations create the
conditions of possibility for a genre?s emergence, how might they also
be controlled and constrained by the genre and its users? And what are
the social consequences of such possibility and constraint? What is at
stake in a story?

We have in mind different kinds of storytelling and narrative
practices, from the telling of traditional Zapotec stories in Mexico
to the production and broadcast of a television news story in
Buryatia, Russia. In these cases, multiple languages and linguistic
repertoires are available, but only certain of them are believed to
?fit? the genre and narrative format. Other kinds of storytelling to
think about might include gossiping, telling jokes, or writing
histories. How are different social spaces for storytelling
demarcated? How do such spaces channel further circulations? Where is
the ?author? of a culturally valorized text, and how does her/his
authority become instantiated in?or come from?that text? How are
authors found, made, and treated differently in different narrative
genres? These are some of the issues we invite panel participants to
explore.

Works cited

Bauman, Richard
2004	A World of Others? Words: Cross-cultural Perspectives on
Intertextuality. Malden, MA: Blackwell.

Kroskrity, Paul
2009a	Narrative Reproductions: Ideologies of Storytelling,
Authoritative Words, and Generic Regimentation in the Village of Tewa.
In Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Vol. 19, Iss. 1, pp 40-56.
2009b	Language Renewal as Sites of Language Ideological Struggle: the
Need for ?Ideological Clarification.? In Indigenous Language
Revitalization: Encouragement, Guidance & Lessons Learned. J. Reyhner
and L. Lockard, eds. Pp. 71?83. Flagstaff: Northern Arizona University.

Meek, Barbra
2007	Respecting the Language of Elders: Ideological Shift and
Linguistic Discontinuity in a Northern Athapascan Community. In
Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Vol. 17, Iss. 1, pp. 23-43.

Shaylih, Muehlmann
2008	?Spread your ass cheeks?: And other things that should not be
said in indigenous languages.  In American Ethnologist