Transcription technology?

Steven Talmy steven.talmy at UBC.CA
Wed May 12 20:26:36 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

As far as I know, the short answer to Steve's question is no, there is
no transcription software that one can use to transcribe interviews, at
least automatically (i.e., plug an mp3 file into it and it spits out a
transcript). However, there are many other options, as I'll describe in
a moment. In answer to Galey's question, yes, there is software that
allows you to plug a foot pedal into a USB port on your computer:
ExpressScribe <http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html>

More on Steve's question:

In my experience, there is no substitute for an experienced transcriber
sitting down, listening to the audio/video record, and transcribing it.
If you have lots of money, I would suggest hiring a research assistant,
and training them in the theory and practicalities/conventions of
transcription that you are after. You could also hire a professional
transcriber, but the ones I've hired in the past have been very
expensive, and usually "tidied up" the data, e.g. glossed over
micro-details such as pauses, false starts, hesitations, etc. It's
definitely not the case that all transcripts must include such details,
but if that's what you're after, you'll need to train someone.
Regardless, if you have someone else transcribe your data, I think it's
important to go over what they wind up producing to check it.

I use Audacity (freeware) for my transcriptions, and type right into
Word. <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=en>. Here are a few other
alternatives. This is by no means an exhaustive list, so please add to it!

Transcriber (freeware) is good, though I haven't used it much recently:
http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/presentation.php

F4 (freeware) is also good, and can be used with video:
http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/f4.htm

CLAN (freeware) has been developed explicitly for CA:
http://www.paultenhave.nl/clan.html

Transana ($50) is very good for video (also audio): http://www.transana.org/

Dragon Naturally Speaking ($200 for Preferred version, now in version
10) is probably closest to what Steve is looking for. It's an excellent
(really impressive) talk to text application: you speak into a USB mic
connected to your computer and it transcribes what you say. It requires
quite a bit of training to your voice, and prefers very clear input with
little background noise, which makes it pretty much unworkable in terms
of plugging in a sound file of naturally occurring talk and having it
transcribe it. I've tried it on interview recordings and classroom
interactions, and the results have been laughable: pretty much
gibberish. Maybe in a few more years...? Regardless, I have had students
tell me they use it to do preliminary transcripts: they listen to the
audio of an interview, e.g., then speak what was said on the recording
into the mic, and DNS converts that to text. That still takes quite a
lot of time though, and requires further editing for details of
delivery, turn-taking etc. I personally only use DNS for transcribing
fieldnotes, and for making comments on students' papers. I don't like
using it for much more than that.
<http://www.dragon-medical-transcription.com/dragon_naturally_speaking_Preferred.html>.

This is a really incomplete list, so I'd love to hear what others use.

All the best,

Steven

Steven Talmy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Language & Literacy Education
University of British Columbia
2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z5
Canada