Transcription technology?

Robin Shoaps shoaps at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri May 14 22:27:45 UTC 2010

Hi again,

I should have mentioned that I take it for granted that one wants a program
that links sound/video files to text, so my recommendations are based on
that. I would never consider transcribing in Word. Among other reasons, Word
doesn't necessarily support old versions (what if you want to archive your
data--you don't want those transcripts to be inaccessible in 10 years) and I
like to search my transcripts and be able to click and listen to the audio.
 For articles or presentations, I just export the transcript and put it into
a document format. Some of my students like to transcribe in Word (using
Audacity as a media player), then cut and paste into Transana or a similar
program that links audio and text.

Best,
Robin
______________________________________

Robin Shoaps

2009-2010 Faculty Fellow, Centre for Ethics, University of Toronto

Assistant Professor of Anthropology
The University of Chicago
1126 E. 59th St.
Chicago, IL 60637