Call for Papers - Language, Migration and Sexualities

Val Pagliai v.pagliai at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 1 21:04:41 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

Sorry for any cross-postings. I am organizing a panel on "Language, Migration
and Sexualities" for the Lavender Languages and Linguistics Conference (February
11-13, 2011, Washington DC). If you are interested, drop me a line. Work on
gender and migration is also welcome. I am pasting more info below. Also, if you
have any questions about the conference or the panel, send me a message.

Best,

Valentina Pagliai

Call for Papers

Language, Migration and Sexualities
Final Deadline for Submissions: November 15, 2010

This panel will focus on the discourses structuring the conditions met by Queer
migrants, including those discourses regimenting sexuality in both the countries
of origin and arrival of migrants. The panel will be divided in two parts.
Part 1: Seeking Inclusion: Discourses Surrounding Sexualities, Migration and
Belonging.
Organizer: Rafael Lainez
Migration is often described as a quest for economic betterment. Social
scientists have begun to explore how sexual minorities migrate for not only for
economic betterment but also for the opportunity to express their sexuality
within a supportive community. However, upon migrating, some immigrant sexual
minorities face social challenges that prohibit them from entering communities
comprised of sexual minorities in the receiving countries. In this session, we
welcome papers exploring these discursive relations between sexuality,
conditions of migration, and the efforts to mainstream community engagement.
Papers focusing on the impact on migration on gender and sexual identities are
also welcome.
Part 2: Discourses of Citizenship and Queerness.
Organizer: Valentina Pagliai
Papers are welcome on topics that touch on the production of discourses about
Queerness in the receiving countries, and their possible impact on the lives of
Queer migrants. This may include (but is not limited to) papers about the use of
discourses of tolerance for sexual differences in nation-state rhetoric, or
those produced by pro-immigrant or anti-immigrant groups; papers exploring the
production of discourses about danger and desire which may exoticize Queer
migrants as Others, to be either ostracized or included; those addressing the
intersections between discourses of race, class and sexuality in the receiving
countries; papers focusing on discourses about Queer migrants produced in the
legal system of receiving countries and the deriving policies; the impact of
Queer migration on the sense of Self of people in the receiving countries,
including in the imagination of sexuality and desire; etc.

Valentina Pagliai

Department of Anthropology
American University
Washington, DC 20016