Inhabited spaces and distances: Acadian and Cajun Circulations

Mireille McLaughlin mireillemcl at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 8 16:05:28 UTC 2010

Inhabited spaces and distances:Acadian and Cajun circulations

When we heard the upcoming meeting of the AAA was going to be held in New
Orleans, Hubert Noël and I immediately knew we wanted to present a panel on
the links, or lack thereof, between Acadian and Cajun identities.  These two
categorizations are linked by the historical deportation of Acadians in 1755,
where many of the deportees of the British military operation found refuge in
Louisiana. The term Cajun itself is linked to the term Acadian: A-cajun.

While world events, such as the Congrès mondial acadien, perpetuate the links
between Acadians and Cajuns, these social categories have evolved in vastly
differing social, economic and political contexts. As we reflected on the
significance of these categories in a transnational and postcolonial world, our
panel took a broader scope.  We wanted to know how Acadian and Cajun
categories evolved not just in relation with each other, but in relation with the
other groups with whom they shared spaces and resources.

We’re proud to say that François Paré has accepted to begin the discussion.
His  work on questions of literature, politics and postcolonialism is seminal in
Canadian Francophone studies. He will be joined by young and established
researchers who have studied the circulation of people, identities, ideologies,
practices and products within Acadian and Cajun spaces. Annette Boudreau,
who has done work on questions of power dynamics in minority context, will
lead the discussion.

The panel will be held in Thursday the 18th in Studio 4 on the Second floor of
the Mariott. Please read the panel abstract below for more detailed
information and, as Acadian tourism commercials famously tout: “V’nez nous
voir!”

Best,

Mireille McLaughlin
Département de sociologie et d'anthropologie
Université d'Ottawa

http://www.aaanet.org/mtgs/dev/viewDetail.cfm?
itemtype=session&matchid=6387

From colonization to globalization, Acadian and Cajun narratives are
interwoven with migrations and travel. The constitutive narratives of
peripheral settler identities in North America are coming under challenge as
global movements challenge the processes of categorization inherited from
colonization. This is a double source of tension for linguistic minorities who
straddle the divide between historical mobilizations as quasi-national or ethnic
movements and the need to account for processes of inclusion and exclusion
within and across their boundaries.
François Paré developed the notion of inhabited distance to document the
complexity of building francophone identity from peripheral locations (2003).
We build on Paré’s concept by adding the notion of inhabited spaces: the
complexity of building peripheral identities alongside, with and against other
claims to identity, language and territory. The central role of circulation calls
attention to the spaces of departure and the spaces of arrival of the people,
languages, discourses and products migrating. These spaces of arrival and
departure share the commonality of being inhabited sometimes by those
identified as being part of the group, sometimes by those categorized as
outside of it and always structured by local and global language ideologies.

Inhabiting is mobilizing economic, symbolic, linguistic and political resources to
construct boundaries between the Self and Others. Inhabiting is also
constructing, domesticating and regulating space in ways that enable and
constrain circulation, produce social struggles and create new subject
positions and discourses. It is, as in Bourdieu’s notion of habitus, taking
position and being positioned by the processes of inclusion and exclusion
characteristic of any social space.

Studies of Acadian and Cajun identities are ripe terrains for deconstructing
territorializing, racializing and monolingualizing understandings of language in
the reproduction(s) and transformations of identity on the global economy. We
mobilize critical sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology to understand the
postcolonial and postnational discourses and practices of Acadian and Cajun
identity. Each paper focuses on the role of language ideologies and linguistic
practices in the (re)production of Acadian and Cajun public spaces in the new
global landscape. François Paré introduces the panel by offering a critical
analysis of discourses of politicization and depoliticization in contemporary
Cajun and Acadian Festivals. Noël traces the role of language ideologies and
cultural practices in the structuration of circulation for Acadian symbolic
elements in the field of singer-songwriting. Other papers follow how the global
circulation of individuals and resources towards Acadian spaces brings about
either new discourses of identity (Keating), struggles for the valorization of
linguistic capital within the market of English-French translation (LeBlanc) and
tensions for newcomers as they position themselves in the Acadian linguistic
landscape (Violette). Finally, Urbain follows the stakes surrounding linguistic
categorization for peripheral linguistic minorities, as stakeholders strive to
position Acadian and Cajun communities as either diverging speakers of
French, or as necessitating integration into an imagined international French
norm. These papers take up the notion of inhabited spaces and distances to
address the tensions bolstered by circulation in Acadian and Cajun spaces
through ethnographic enquiry and discursive analysis