UCSD Comm position in New media/Race, ethnicity & communication

Woolard, Kathryn kwoolard at UCSD.EDU
Tue Nov 16 04:33:03 UTC 2010

Sorry if this is redundant, but the listserv is balking at my new program, and I can't tell if messaages have already gone out.

I hope most of you who would be interested have already seen this job announcement, but I'm forwarding it just in case. Although review of applications begins today, please note that there isn't a closing date, so you can still apply.

Best wishes,
Kit Woolard

Faculty Recruitment: Tenure-track search in areas of Digital/Networked Media and Race, Ethnicity and Communication.

The Department of Communication at the University of California, San Diego is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. Given that commitment, the department is interested in recruiting candidates who are committed to the highest standards of scholarship and professional activity, and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity. Applications are invited for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in two areas:

1. Digital/networked media. We invite applicants studying any aspect of emerging digital media and communication forms and practices, from any disciplinary background, including, for example, game studies, "serious games," social networking, internet governance, new media and legal regimes, new media and political participation, distributed learning systems and the "digital university." We encourage candidates who integrate research scholarship with creative practice and/or efforts at advocacy and social change. We are highly interested in candidates who work on issues related to race, ethnicity, and other forms of difference and inequality. We also have a particular interest in candidates who work on Asia or on Asian-American issues. Our ideal scholar would be one whose body of research (1) understands emergent media forms as historically and culturally situated; (2) articulates technology with embodied practice; and (3) remains cognizant of the ways in which new technologies produce new limitations on access and usability at the same time that they may produce new avenues for action and access.

2. Race, ethnicity and communication. We invite applicants studying any aspect of race or ethnicity and communication, from any disciplinary background. Examples could include "digital divide" issues and the use of information technology in immigrant or racialized populations, race and ethnicity in popular culture and media industries, language, bilingualism and learning, media policies related to cultural diversity and inequality, critical race and communication theory. We encourage candidates who integrate research scholarship with creative practice and/or efforts at advocacy and social change.

Applications can be submitted electronically at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu<https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/>. Submit electronic versions of a letter detailing research and/or creative interests and teaching experience, a CV, one representative publication or dissertation chapter or links to creative work, and contact information for three references. Applicants are asked to summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity in their personal statement. Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2010, and continue until the position is filled. UCSD is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity. For further information contactProf. Chandra Mukerji<http://communication.ucsd.edu/PeoplePages/ChandraMukerji.html>, Search Committee Chair, or Prof. Dan Hallin, Department Chair<http://communication.ucsd.edu/PeoplePages/DanielC.Hallin.html>.

Dan Hallin, Professor and Chair
Department of Communication
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0503

(858)534-2843

All applications to faculty positions must be submitted online via
https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu