LINGANTH Digest - 1 Sep 2010 to 9 Sep 2010 (#2010-87)

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Sep 10 09:23:27 UTC 2010

>Does anyone have a(n open access or free use or free download, etc.)
>mapping program to recommend?
>
>thanks!
>
>If there is interest, I'll post the recommendations or experiences.

I'd be very interested in a summary of responses. I am a dialectologist and
so far have used a bought program, MapInfo; I have also been advised, by
someone who ought to know,* that, if I want my work to feed into any wider
geographical-studies communities, I really should be using ARCGis, which is
also not free. But, even having said that, I would be interested in knowing
what free programs other academic linguists use, just so I know about
compatibility, etc.

* The person who said this to me is also a dialectologist, but someone who
has been out of academia and working in a Census Bureau for the last two
years - so, both ways, he knows what he's talking about in talking about
the wider communities I might want to tap into.

Hope this helps!

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK