Fwd: Mapping programs

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Sep 10 15:19:48 UTC 2010

Mark Sicoli has just sent me this (thanks, Mark) because I responded with
interest to the question yesterday about free-download mapping programs. I
wasn't the original questioner, but I'm afraid I can't remember who was, so
I'm sending it on to the list!

Damien

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:05:31 -0800
Subject: Re: LINGANTH Digest - 1 Sep 2010 to 9 Sep 2010 (#2010-87)
From: Mark Sicoli <msicoli at alaska.edu>
To: djh514 at york.ac.uk

Dear Damien,

Quantum GIS or QGIS is an open source program for doing any number of
Geographic Information Systems applications.  I used it for mapping the
progress of a survey of Zapotec and Chatino languages and was happy with the
results.

http://www.qgis.org/

It's comparable to ARCGIS without the $1000 price tag plus it exports in
many more formats.

Best of luck,

Mark

--