Living Language, by Laura Ahearn

Laura M. Ahearn ahearn at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Sun Apr 3 14:57:06 UTC 2011

Dear Friends,

It gives me great pleasure to announce the publication by
Wiley-Blackwell of my new book, _Living Language: An Introduction to
Linguistic Anthropology_.  It will be released in the U.K. later in
April and in the U.S. in May, but it is available for pre-order now.
Free examination copies can be ordered from the Wiley-Blackwell website
at http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1405124415.html.
Pasted in below are the Table of Contents and the copy from the website
describing _Living Language_.

I look forward to hearing what you all think about the book!

Laura

*****************************

Accessible and clearly written, _Living Language: An Introduction to
Linguistic Anthropology_ introduces readers to the study of language in
real-life social contexts around the world through the contemporary
theory and practice of linguistic anthropology.

     * A highly accessible introduction to the study of language in
real-life social contexts around the world
     * Combines classic studies on language and cutting-edge
contemporary scholarship and assumes no prior knowledge in linguistics
or anthropology
     * Provides a unifying synthesis of current research and considers
future directions for the field
     * Covers key topics such as: language and gender, race, and
ethnicity; language acquisition and socialization in children and
adults; language death and revitalization; performance; language and
thought; literacy practices; and multilingualism and globalization

_LIVING LANGUAGE: AN INTRODUCTION TO LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY_ -- TABLE
OF CONTENTS

List of Figures.

List of Tables.

Preface.

Acknowledgments.
*
Part I: Language: Some Basic Questions.*

1. The Socially Charged Life of Language.

2. The Research Process in Linguistic Anthropology.

3. Language Acquisition and Socialization.

4. Language, Thought, and Culture.

*Part II: Communities of Speakers, Hearers, Readers, and Writers.*

5. Communities of Language Users.

6. Multilingualism and Globalization.

7. Literacy Practices.

8. Performance, Performativity, and the Constitution of Communities.

*Part III: Language, Power, and Social Differentiation.*

9. Language and Gender.

10. Language, Race, and Ethnicity.

11. Language Death and Revitalization.

12. Conclusion: Language, Power, and Agency.

Notes.