bilingual interactions

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Mon Aug 22 23:03:12 UTC 2011

I think Susan Gal (in Language Shift, 1979; also perhaps in "Peasant men can't get wives", 1978) called this pattern "unreciprocal language choice", about the times of Kit Woolard's "bilingual norm" and of Monica Heller's "negotiation" of language choices (related). Regardless of labels, it's clear they/you all were into something and the same. I don't have my rusty notes with me, but I believe that from a social-psycholinguistic perspective (Scherer and Giles, eds., Social Markers in Speech) it has been called "divergence", a sort of a misnomer, as non-reciprocal "language" usages ("choices") may indicate the opposite ("convergence", that is, reciprocal tuning) at a deeper, fundamental coding level of human communication: that of speaking the same language (yes, with different words and grammar, but so what?). Please excuse so many distancing quotation marks, but...

-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo