bilingual interactions

Nancy Lutz nlutz at SIUE.EDU
Tue Aug 23 00:57:52 UTC 2011

Dear all,
    This is also very common in UN Peacekeeping missions where you have people
working for the UN from all over the world. Even though Peacekeeping missions
have an official language (English or French, depending on the mission) for use
in all official settings, in more informal settings where people were tired, you
would often find multilingual groups, where people had some knowledge of various
languages, but were too tired to actually try to produce appropriate language
replies. In my experience, it was very common in East Timor, for example, to
have a group of people speaking English, French, and Portuguese, with the person
speaking their native language, and others replying in their own native
languages. For most, it was far easier to understand than to try to speak in
that language, especially if you're tired (or drinking :-) ) so this actually
seemed to work out quite well.

best,
Nancy