bilingual interactions

Elizabeth Spreng elispreng at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 23 03:00:47 UTC 2011

I heartily concur with Colleen. While working on a syllabus for next semester, I found a great piece that follows along the lines of Romaine's critique. This piece about academics' use of English also makes me think about our own roles in these thorny aspects of social relations. Here is the link to it and I think my students will like it so I wanted to share with it with my colleagues on the internet.

http://web.natur.cuni.cz/~simon1/Robert_Hassink--Its_the_language,_stupid_On_emotions,_strategies,_and_consequences_related_to_the_use_of_one_language_to_describe_and_explain_a_diverse_world.html

As  a person who works with endangered language speakers in Germany, I have also encountered similar dynamics of non-reciprocal bilingualism/asymmetric bilingualism and issues of accommodation. It just reminds me that we still have  a lot of work to do as scholars and educators to help non-ling-anthers  explore the reasons why people do what they do with multiple repertoires.

Elizabeth Spreng
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
208 Waters Hall
Manhattan, KS

785-532-4981
spreng at ksu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group [mailto:LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org] On Behalf Of Colleen Cotter
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 6:57 PM
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: bilingual interactions

Just happened to run across these issues of classification/identification, theoretically and descriptively, in Suzanne Romaine's 2010 chapter on language contact in Potowski, ed.
Language Diversity in the USA, CUP.

She cites the "predominantly monolingual orientation of linguistic theory" (p. 28) dating to Bloomfield and Weinreich, and the "hegemony of monolingual ideologies" (p. 29) on the policy front, as problematic, particularly when characterizing contact issues in communities and language mixing in actual speakers.

She problematizes the "prescriptive" notion of the "balanced bilingual" and fact that "real-world bilinguals" (p. 29) seldom exhibit fluency in all contexts all the time. She notes that educators and linguists would be better served to focus on social context and function (as ling-anthers do as a matter of course) when characterizing competence and dominance.

May I also recommend Potowski's book for a comprehensive account of Languages of Other than English in the US.

Colleen Cotter
Linguistics Department
School of Languages, Linguistics and Film Queen Mary, University of London London E1 4NS UK