AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc)

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Mon Dec 12 16:55:38 UTC 2011

I usually use a lot of YouTube clips. A couple of favorites are:
- excerpts from Grover (near/far, etc) on Sesame Street when talking about
deixis
- SNL "girlfriend voice" to talk about social indexicality/speech as a way
of occupying different social roles. It's stupid but funny.
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvul3DC4l4E as a funny way to illustrate
that iconicity does not mean transparency, ie the non-mutual exclusivity of
different kinds of semiosis.

--
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
Assistant Professor of Anthropology