AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc)

Eric Hoenes ehoenes at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 17:07:12 UTC 2011

Alejandro,
I think the answer to this question depends a lot on what topics you want to cover and/or which readings you want to supplement with AV material.
Without knowing more here are a few suggestions. I hope they help.

Language shift:
BBC documentary on Nancy Dorian's work http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7647046783946085652
The Linguist

Variation:
Do You Speak American?
Voices of North Carolina (this one is really quite wonderful, though I imagine that it's not very well known outside of the state)

Religion, media, or translation:
The Tailenders

Non-verbal communication:
Clips of a comedian called The Boy with Tape on his face (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73lsIXzBar0)
Clips of Charles Goodwin's work on aphasia would also be relevant

Eric Hoenes del Pinal
UNC Charlotte