AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc)

Janina Fenigsen jfenigsen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 18:03:46 UTC 2011

Here goes my list of YouTube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvul3DC4l4E signing for “deaf” -derogatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGx1icFdLQ&feature=related John Baugh’s on
language, prejudice, ling profiling, AfAm origin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9x6kMO-mbo court proceedings with Spanish
translator, used to illustrate Hymes’ SPEAKING model

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=small+talk&search_type=&aq=foffice
small talk parody, used for participation structure illustration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8561sf6Bg7s cavemen small talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDtVc3swF0U&feature=related small talk on
Titanic (spoof)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoR0U9l_QGQ  Mickey Mouse, boat christening
ceremony, used for performative illustration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BcdY_wSklo&feature=related Pinker on
swearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqwsYErMGQE&feature=related no “should” in
Mende, used to illustrate lexicalized modality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKsZ3_8qLg US Army Language and culture
tactical training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67V8qWQd_EM the creation of a sign sequence
for “Obama” in manual language (some iconicity)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfDWQG47pAQ, nonverbal communication

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274_VdeckAU&feature=player_embedded

 Obama’s presidential oath, used to illustrate performativity conditions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8IvWp_lzUo Iranian politeness

http://www.slate.com/id/2264198/  (Hollywood multilingualism, from Kerim)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/08/19/doctor.laura.caller/index.html?hpt=C1
Laura Slesinger n-word