the 19th (!!) Lavender Languages Conference , February 10-12, 2012 , American University , Washington DC

William Leap wlm at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Dec 14 12:05:05 UTC 2011

What we have planned for this year's conference includes:
Special Events
Reporting and Writing Queer Temporalities: Albania, Arkansas, North
African Diaspora, Renaissance Harlem and Deaf Vietnam
Voices from a Chorus:  The Language of Music, Understanding and Acceptance
1 girl, 5 gays and LGBTQ Discourses in School Settings  featuring
television celebrity and gay activist Philip Tetro
A Reading from "The Bar Notebook"   by feminist performance artist Bonnie
Morris
Workshops
Queer Corpora:  A corpus analysis of the discourse, linguistic, and
semantic aspects of queer speech
Genderqueer Terminology: Beyond Pronouns
Scheduled sessions
Visualizing the social in the pornographic  message
Language and the Que(e)ry of Speciesism
Pentecostalism, Language, and Homosexuality
Identity and Voice: Locating the Lavender in Composition and Rhetoric
Studies
Beyond the 'L' and 'G': Linguistic and Discursive Visibility for the 'B',
'T', 'Q' and other "Others."
Queer women?s discourse and representation
Performing and Placing Sexualities
The Power of Discourse: Keeping LGBT Immigrants Marginalized
Language and Internet Cruising
 Language and Homophobic text
More information about  special events, workshops and sessions will be
available on the conference website,  www.american.edu/lavenderlanguages
Information will be updated regularly.  I am happy to answer questions
about the conference program and logistics at any time.
Best wishes,
Wlm L. Leap ,Professor , Department of Anthropology, American University,
Washington DC 20016
Co-editor, Journal of Language and Sexuality
"It is not very hard to silence us, but that is not because we cannot
speak."    --  a Bengali villager once remarked to Nobel prize winning
economist  Amartya Sen  (The Argumentative Indian, Picador Book, 2005:
xiii)

"Don't be a drag, just be a queen!"  Lady Gaga