FW: CASBS 2011 Summer Workshop

Woolard, Kathryn kwoolard at UCSD.EDU
Wed Feb 9 06:41:48 UTC 2011

From: CASBS Secretary <secretary at casbs.stanford.edu<mailto:secretary at casbs.stanford.edu>>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:29 -0800
To: "workshops at casbs.stanford.edu<mailto:workshops at casbs.stanford.edu>" <workshops at casbs.stanford.edu<mailto:workshops at casbs.stanford.edu>>
Subject: CASBS 2011 Summer Workshop

Dear past and current CASBS Fellows,
We would appreciate your assistance in encouraging humanist advanced graduate students and younger faculty to apply for our 2011 Summer Workshop, described below.  Feel free to forward this e-mail to those you believe would be interested.
To go directly to the announcement web page for directions on how to apply, visit the CASBS website at http://summerworkshop.casbs.org<http://summerworkshop.casbs.org/>.  For general information about the CASBS Summer Workshop program, feel free to visit our Collaborative Ventures web page at http://www.casbs.org/index.php?act=page&id=112.

2011 Summer Workshop on Cognitive Science/Neuroscience and the Humanities
at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University

Generously funded by the Mellon Foundation, a limited number of fellowships are available for advanced graduate students and younger faculty to attend CASBS' 2011 Summer Workshop on Cognitive Science/Neuroscience and the Humanities. Held from July 25 - August 5, 2011, the workshop will consist of 10 days of tutorials and high-level exploration of the range of uses to which perspectives from the cognitive science and neuroscience may be put by scholars from the humanities. What are the payoffs to be gained from this kind of undertaking? What are the risks and pitfalls?

Topics covered include: The nature of information processing; Key facts about the brain and neuroscientific methods; Visual perception, aesthetics and art history; Memory beyond Freud; False memory, implicit memory, and the new “unconscious”; Mental imagery and the literary imagination; Thinking in metaphors, or philosophy “in the flesh”; The history of emotions, and emotions in history; Narrative and the brain; Stories as the building blocks of culture; Empathy and the cinematic experience; Morality and neuroethics ; The humanistic quest for a just world; Neural plasticity and "biological determinism."

Applications are being accepted for this workshop from January 27 - March 31, 2011.  For more information, please visit our website at http://summerworkshop.casbs.org<http://summerworkshop.casbs.org/>.

Many thanks,
Cynthia