CFP for ASA 2011: Sexuality, Gender and Marriage on the Swahili Coast

Thompson, Katrina Daly kdthompson at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Fri Feb 11 00:06:50 UTC 2011

CFP for African Studies Association 2011: Sexuality, Gender and Marriage on the Swahili Coast

I am seeking papers for a panel that will explore discourses of sexuality, gender and/or marriage on the Swahili coast.  How are ideologies of normative Swahili sexuality and gender discursively constructed, performed, negotiated or rejected within and outside of Islamic marriages? The panel already includes a paper by Erin Stiles about Zanzibari court cases involving claims of impotence, and my own paper on Zanzibari women's talk about sex during the styling of a Muslim bride.  We are seeking 1 or 2 additional papers to round out the panel.

If you're interested in joining this panel, please send a paper proposal by 1 March to  kdthompson at humnet.ucla.edu

N.B. This message was written using dictation software. Please forgive any resulting errors.
--
Katrina Daly Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Applied Linguistics

phone:(310) 825-4631
office: 3320 Rolfe Hall
web: http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/al/kdthompson
mail: 3320 Rolfe Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095