'Haitian' or 'Haitian Creole'?

Ronald Kephart ronkephart at COMCAST.NET
Wed Jan 12 17:21:14 UTC 2011

For what it's worth, Yves Dejean calls it "kreyòl" in his nifty little
book /Ann etidiye lang nou an /[Let's study our language] (Demen Miyò,
1995). Which is entirely in Kreyòl, by the way.  But it is really a
difficult issue, this business of what to call a language.  I think (and
I may be wrong) that people in the Seychelles call their French Creole
"Seselwa."  On Carriacou where I work, people call their French Creole
either "Patwa" or "Broken French."  They also call their English Creole
"Broken English."  What to do....  I have a paper in progress titled
Taking the "Broken" out of "Broken English."  Belizeans on the other
hand have taken to calling their (English) Creole "Kriol."

Ron