Language Socialization and the Senses

Nathaniel Dumas ndumas at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Jul 22 14:06:01 UTC 2011

Thanks Leila! I also forgot, Lanita Jacobs-Huey (2006) does deal with
"touch" as a sense that is laden with religious overtones in her book,
 From the Kitchen to the Parlor: Language and Becoming in African
American Women's Hair Care, for those who are interested too. (Chapter
3) It's not so much from a language socialization perspective because
we don't have the longitudinal aspect to see what was/was not acquired
by novices, but it's worth thinking about.

Nate