FW: AAA Montreal Hotels

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 22 19:04:38 UTC 2011

Speaking of local accommodations…

I’m not part of any local committee, for the conference and I haven’t been
in touch with those who are.
Don’t know if there’s been anything planned to help AAA members find their
way through Montreal’s accommodation during the conference. But it may be
important to point out that cheaper options are available. While the cost of
living in Montreal has gone up rather quickly, in recent years, there are
still ways to spend time in Montreal on the cheap.

In case it’s not clear: Montreal’s transit system is quite good (award
winning, in fact) and it should be quite easy to get to the conference from
other parts of town. My suggestion would be to look for places near métro
stations. And, for those who are likely to stay up late, it might be useful
to look at the “nighttime bus system”.
http://stm.info/English/info/nuit2011.pdf
(On most lines, the last métro leaves from downtown at 1am.)

Unfortunately, only a small percentage of Montreal businesses can be found
online. As you might guess, the two languages dividing the city still have
an impact on the visibility of certain businesses to those who can’t read
French.
In the past, some friends (including fellow anthros, actually) have had good
luck using resources on the Tourism Montreal website, before coming to town.
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/
I know some people who work there and it sounds like they do a decent job at
getting travellers to make their trips enjoyable. It’s meant for a broad
public, with the issues this might imply, but it can be a decent starting
point.

Of course, as any large city, Montreal can be a fascinating context for
informal ethnography…
For instance, if you’re interested in casual observation of Montreal’s core
French-speaking community, it might be a good idea to spend time in the
eastern part of town, where the concentration of Francophone remains the
highest. Otherwise, most of Montreal’s neighbourhoods can be interesting in
terms of linguistic anthropology. From Yiddish and Tagalog speakers in
Côte-des-Neiges to multilingual Haitians in Saint-Michel and Montréal-Nord,
there might be something for almost any SLA member.
(It reminds me, those who work on ASL or other sign languages might be
interested in meeting members of the Quebec Sign Language community…)

Guess I’m just excited about the possibility to meet several of you.

Cheers!
--
Alexandre Enkerli, Concordia University, Montreal
http://enkerli.com/