Intro Cultural Ethnographies?

Bruce Mannheim mannheim at UMICH.EDU
Wed Mar 9 02:40:41 UTC 2011

I recently taught a first-year undergraduate seminar on "Native Andeans
today" and used three ethnographic monographs as the (entire) reading for
the class, each distributed over three weeks:

Allen, Catherine (2002) The hold life has.  Coca and cultural identity in an
Andean community, Washington: Smithsonian University Press.
Leinaweaver, Jessaca B. (2008) The circulation of children: Kinship,
adoption, and morality in Andean Peru,
Van Vleet, Krista (2008) Performing kinship: Narrative, gender, and the
intimacies of power in the Andes,  Austin: University of Texas Press.
My goal was to have three books that would build on each other (so that some
of the cultural detail would bounce from one to the other even though all
three approached their subject matters differently, and all three were
writing about different-and differently situated-?communities".  The three
books were accessible to the students, but seriously anthropological-that
is, they developed their analyses against the background of anthropological
ideas, so the students could see why they were doing (and saying) certain
things, not simply what they were saying. The problem I ran into (and one
I'll be better prepared for in the future) is that some (?)/many (?) of the
students were reading their first sustained non-fiction work.  (They've all
read novels and they've all read textbooks, which break the world into
bite-sized chunks.)  So your students might need to be prepared for the
reading they do before they actually delve into the first book.

By the way, I'm  learning from the variety of responses that I need to catch
up on my reading, too.
Best,
Bruce

--