Qualitative research

Val Pagliai v.pagliai at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 9 15:46:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

There is always "Thick Description" by Geertz.
When I was an undergraduate I read the Introduction to Paul Feyerabend' s
"Against the Method" and loved it. He does a very effective critique of the
scientific method.

Best,

Valentina Pagliai

Department of Anthropology
American University
Washington, DC 20016

 Phone# (908) 668-4840  (h)

There Is No Place Like Everywhere

________________________________
From: Eric Henry <Eric_Henry at CARLETON.CA>
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Wed, March 9, 2011 8:49:41 AM
Subject: Re: [LINGANTH] Qualitative research

To flip things around, instead of trying to justify ethnography as a
"scientific" (and thus valid) process, I like to challenge my students to think
of science as a social process. I've found Jonathan Marks' works very helpful in
this regard, as he is a biological anthropologist with a deep interest in
culture. Several of the chapters in his recent book "Why I am Not a Scientist"
would be good candidates. Also, in a class on ritual last week I asked my
students to read Hugh Gusterson's Nuclear Rites, which offers a ritual analysis
of nuclear weapons testing. Some of them were shocked to think that something so
exotic as ritual plays a role in theoretical physics.

Regards,

Eric Henry
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow
Carleton University