Intro Cultural Ethnographies?

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Wed Mar 9 17:00:30 UTC 2011

Aberdeen has had a 'book review' assignment for a lower division class (not intro, though), where students are required to read and 'review' an ethnography. They have about half a dozen to choose from, but they have to choose one to do the assignment. I don't teach the course, but my colleagues say it works pretty well. We use TurnItIn to catch those who try to rip off book reviews from published sources (mostly cutting and pasting Amazon reviews!), but those turn out to be about 1-2% of enrollment.

I would like to point out that I do force students to read old stuff. I love Boas's Study of Geography and On Alternating Sounds, not to mention Turner's Symbols in Ndembu Ritual, etc. The Waveland ethnographies I listed in an earlier missive are great for grabbing freshpeople, and since they are short (about 150 small pages including photos, charts, etc.), they only take up 2, or at most 3 weeks of the course. They are good for introducing anthropological concepts and methods to an audience unprepared for that insanity in a language that my students (a mix of Scots, English and 20% assorted Europeans) find 'transparent'. I would agree that the other monographs suggested are also by authors who are masters at crafting narrative non-fiction in delightful prose.

Now I'm off to the library to get Landes's City of Women, because I loved her two books on the Ojibway when I was a sophomore.

Alex

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology