Intro Cultural Ethnographies?

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 9 17:51:08 UTC 2011

I will be teaching a summer 3 week intensive class that should have only
about 20 people in it. I thought I would use them as the guinea pigs for
this experiment, giving them the range of ethnographies that they can
choose from and using their reactions to judge which ethnographies might
work well as a large lecture class text here at the University of Wyoming.
I currently have people do mini-papers on groups they (in groups
themselves) choose from a list. While some while chose groups like the
Austalian Aborigines or the Inuit, many chose groups like the Japanese or
Irish that they are more familiar with. Will be interesting to see which
ethnographies they gravitate towards.

Thanks so much for this discussion and the suggestions. Will try to put up
a list of suggested ethnographies but it will take a while.

all best,

Leila