Does music technically qualify as a language?

Jim Wilce Jim.Wilce at NAU.EDU
Thu May 12 17:59:10 UTC 2011

On this issue I would also recommend the work of ethnomusicologist
Elizabeth Tolbert:

Tolbert, Elizabeth
     2001    Voice, Metaphysics and Community. In Pain and its
Transformations. S. Coakley and K. Shelemay, eds. Cambridge, Mass.
—
     2001    Music and Meaning: An Evolutionary Story. Psychology of
Music 29(1):84-94.
—
     1992    Theories of Meaning and Music Cognition: An
Ethnomusicological Approach. The World of Music 34(3):7–21.
—
     2001    The Enigma of Music, the Voice of Reason: “Music,”
“Language,” and Becoming Human. New Literary History 32:451–465.

Jim Wilce

--
Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology
Northern Arizona University