New ethnography of speaking in Siberia

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Wed May 25 10:23:49 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

My book, Living with Koryak Traditions: Playing with Culture in Siberia, has just been published with U Nebraska Press. http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Living-with-Koryak-Traditions,674798.aspx . Use this discount code to receive a 20% discount: 6AS11. The blurb is below and Nebraska's website has a PDF of the first part of the introduction. I did my best to write it in clear language accessible for undergraduates, so please consider it for teaching this autumn.

best wishes,
Alex

(apologies for cross postings)

Living with Koryak Traditions
Playing with Culture in Siberia
Alexander D. King

What does it mean to be a traditional Koryak in the modern world? How do indigenous Siberians express a culture that entails distinctive customs and traditions? For decades these people, who live on the Kamchatka Peninsula in northeastern Siberia, have been in the middle of contradictory Soviet/Russian colonial policies that celebrate cultural and ethnic difference across Russia yet seek to erase those differences. Government institutions both impose state ideologies of culture and civilization and are sites of community revitalization for indigenous Siberians.

In Living with Koryak Traditions, Alexander D. King reveals that, rather than having a single model of Koryak culture, Koryaks themselves are engaged in deep debates and conversations about what “culture” and “tradition” mean and how they are represented for native peoples, both locally and globally. To most Koryaks, tradition does not function simply as an identity marker but also helps to maintain moral communities and support vulnerable youth in dire times. Debunking an immutable view of tradition and culture, King presents a dynamic one that validates contemporary indigenous peoples’ lived experience.

Anthropology Department
University of Aberdeen
Edward Wright F50                tel: +44(1224) 272732
Aberdeen  AB24 3QY             fax: +44(1224) 272552
United Kingdom

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology/staff/details.php?id=a.king
Living with Koryak Traditions now available from Nebraska: http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Living-with-Koryak-Traditions,674798.aspx