Language, History and Culture interest group

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 11 20:46:48 UTC 2011

*Dear All,*

*
*

*I wanted to let you know that plans for the Language, Culture and History
interest group are progressing nicely.  We have 14 people officially
interested and need 11 more to reach the official number of 25.  *

*
*

*Our first informal meeting will be Saturday, 12:15pm in the 5th floor
foyer of the Conference Center/Palais de Congres in front of registration.
 There are some tables chairs there and my bet is that it will be quiet by
Saturday.  If you have any questions, feel free to call 610-529-0460.*

*
*

*I will also be at the SLA business meeting on Friday evening.*

*
*

*Below is my rough draft of our application. Comments welcome. *

*
*

*Language, Culture and History:*

* Application for AAA Interest Group*

*November 11, 2011*

*A. Purpose*

1. *Area of Intellectual Interest: Language, Culture and History*. Studying
the interconnections between language, culture and history is a growing
field of inquiry within linguistic anthropology.  Events such as July 2010
Language, Culture and History Conference in Laramie, Wyoming and multiple
sessions on language and history issues at recent American Anthropological
Association meetings as well a number of recent publications show the
interest in the field.  Our interests differ from those of many in
linguistic anthropology as much of current linguistic anthropology focuses
on the close analysis of specific current events. We are interested in a
broad variety of topics including the historical context of events, the
cultural construction of memory, the close analysis of historical data as
examples of language complexity and variation, and historical
sociolinguistics.

2. *Needs and Reasons for Existing: Creating a network for scholars of
language, culture and history. * Many of the members of this proposed
interest group identify themselves as linguistic anthropologists and belong
to the Society for Linguistic Anthropology.  We would like to create this
separate (but closely aligned with the SLA) interest group in order to
create a mechanism whereby we can share information on our current research
interests, discuss theoretical approaches to language, culture, and
history, and plan future sessions and other collaborations.

3.  *Ongoing Mechanisms for Exchange:* *Interest Group Special Event and
Regular E-Mail Communication.  *We plan on holding at least one special
event a year at the AAA Annual Meeting and keeping in regular contact by
e-mail through the Linganth E-mail list and other e-mail channels.  We will
also post information regularly on the SLA website.

*B. Conveners*

Conveners will be nominated by e-mail before the annual meeting or in
person at the annual meeting and voted on at the planned annual meeting.

*C. Reporting to the AAA*

* *

The convener or a designated representative of the convener will report
activities to the AAA on an annual basis.* *

* *

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Department of Anthropology