language, cultural capital, and community tourism

Jenn Wheeler jennwheeler at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 27 02:02:06 UTC 2011

Hi Natalia,

I would contact Aboriginal Tourism BC. British Columbia is rich in diverse
native cultures and their model would be a good one to ask for. Further in
BC, there is also the new Lil'wat Cultural Centre in Whistler, a native
museum run by native peoples from two nations.

Secondly, google details for a person in Cochabamba, Bolivia named Alan
Lispergueur (spanish speaking only). He coordinates a tour operation with
native peoples that is extremely sustainable and involves the community in
making it happen, specifically with the Trinitario and Yuracare tribes. He
is Bolivian himself but went to school in Germany for university.

Depending on the country in Central America, hopefully it is well accessed
by air traffic. I would connect with the tourism board for the country and
learn more about contacts with existing tour operators. Beyond this, I
would also connect with hotels and hostels with their front line staff to
recommend activities in the area for their guests. If possible, aboriginal
tourism is particularly strong with the German market, so unlikely there is
a lot of German traveling to central america, but always a chance. I know
there are a great deal of   young Israelis who travel through Central/South
America after serving in the army, and this specific market as well would
potentially be interested.

I hope this helps? I have a business degree in Hospitality and Tourism
Management from Ryerson in Toronto.

Jennifer

--
approach everything with joy, acceptance or excitement.