dealing with difficult/traumatic research

Ignasi Clemente ignasiclemente at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 6 20:36:57 UTC 2011

Hi Lynnette,

I highly recommend

Bluebond-Langner, M. (1978). Doing the Fieldwork:  A Personal Account.  The Private Worlds of Dying Children (pp. 236-255). Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.

In my dissertation, I also discussed the logistic and emotional complexities of conducting participant observation and videotaping children with cancer and dying children.

Clemente, I. (2005). Negotiating the Limits of Uncertainty and Non-Disclosure: Communication and Culture in the Management of Pediatric Cancer Treatment in Barcelona.  Unpublished PhD Dissertation. Department of Anthropology. Los Angeles: University of California.

Another volume that I would recommend is
Kleinman, A., Das, V., & Lock, M. M. (Eds.) (1997). Social Suffering. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.

In particular, the Kleimans have a very insightful chapter on Kevin Carter entitled "The Appeal of Experience; The Dismay of Images: Cultural Appropriations of Suffering in Our times.  Kevin Carter,  a Pulitzer Prize awardee,  killed himself after taking a photograph for the New York Times in 1994. Once you see the picture, you will recognize it immediately: a vulture perches near a little girl in the Sudan who has collapsed from hunger, a picture that became an icon of starvation

The literature on violence and trauma is quite extensive.  If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

Ignasi