SLA Students in Focus

Lindsay Bell mslbell at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 23 16:50:45 UTC 2011

The annual meeting in Montreal is less than a month away. Before you fill your dance cards completely, I wanted to let you know about the fine selection of student-focused panels the SLA and other sections have put together in continued attempts to make the large meetings fruitful for every stage of your anthropological trajectory.

On behalf of the executive board, I am pleased to promote the invited panel “NEW VOICES IN ANTHROPOLOGY: THE SOCIETY OF LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY'S GRADUATE STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST” which will take place Saturday, November 19, 2011: 13:45-15:30. In lieu of our traditional single paper prize, we are bringing together four graduate student finalists for a lively discussion of their work by two talented leaders in our field: Miyako Inoue (Stanford) and Bambi Schieffelin (NYU). This event is not to be missed!

Next, in collaboration with the Council for Anthropology and Education, we have put together a workshop “TECHNOLOGY AND INTERVIEWING TECHNIQUES IN LINGUISTIC AND EDUCATIONAL ANTHROPOLOGY” which brings together experienced researchers in Anthropology of Education and Linguistic Anthropology to share their fieldwork experiences, in light of rapid shift in technological tools and resources available for research and interviewing techniques.  Joining me on the panel are talented advanced graduate students Kori Allan (Toronto), Laurent Zentz (Arizona), Erin Nolan (Arizona State) and two fabulous  faculty members Audra Skukauskaite  (U Texas, Brownsville) Jennifer Jackson (UCLA).  Students are invited to bring questions, concerns, and curiosity about fieldwork to the table in a casual and constructive atmosphere.    This workshop is Thursday, November 17, 2011: 12:15-13:30.

For those with publishing questions, there are two panels which may be useful. The National Association of Student Anthropologists is offering a general publishing workshop Saturday, November 19, 2011: 08:00-10:00 and the Council for Anthropology and Education is offering “HOW TO PUBLISH IN ANTHROPOLOGY & EDUCATION QUARTERLY” on Saturday, November 19, 2011: 12:15-13:30.

For the social butterflies, I suggest “EARLY CAREER NETWORKING: GRADUATE STUDENT WORKSHOP” which will be held Saturday, November 19, 2011: 12:15-13:30. Also, the American Anthropology Association will be hosting a “Graduate School Reception” for all students Saturday, November 19, 2011: 14:00-15:00.

Finally, my tenure as graduate student representative to the SLA (and my tenure as a student more generally) is drawing to a close. This position has been an absolute pleasure. It comes with a great amount of flexibility to bring forward new ideas and events. Both the Executive Board of the SLA and the AAA are incredibly supportive bodies to work with. I want to thank them, the student membership and the other student section representatives for making these past two years so seamless and insightful.

If you are a student considering getting more involved with the SLA/AAA, we will be looking to recruit a new student representative at the meetings. I am happy to share my experiences and answer any questions you may have about what the position entails.  You can grab me after Friday’s business meeting, or email me in advance at Liberty.Bell(AT)utoronto.ca.