Starting two AAA "Interest Groups"

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 29 16:49:34 UTC 2011

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I will be starting two "Interest
Groups" at this year's anthropology meetings in Montreal that any member of
the American Anthropological Association is welcome to join.  An interest
group needs 25 AAA members to be officially recognized by the AAA, get
meeting space and some access to having sessions on the program.

http://www.aaanet.org/sections/Info/ProtocolCreation.cfm

I will be sending out separate calls for forwarding when I get a chance but
this is just to let people know what is in the works.

1) Language, Culture and History Interest Group focusing on the uses of
history within the discipline of linguistic anthropology and connections
between linguistic anthropology and fields such as historical
sociolinguistics, oral history and ethnohistory.  This group will be
affiliated with the Society of Linguistic Anthropology and will provide a
space and network to discuss recent work and plan for up coming meetings and
events.

2) Independent Anthropologists Interest Group focusing on the issues of
anthropologists working on a temporary, contract and non-tenure track basis.
 Independent anthropologists now make up approximately half of the teaching
workload in anthropology across the country but do not yet have a formal
voice within the AAA which often reflects the interests of tenure-line
faculty.  Given important upcoming issues such as the implementation of the
new health care act, it is important to have some sort of voice within the
AAA to represent this huge segment of the anthropological population.

If you are interested in either group, please drop me a note with your name
and the address the AAA has for you (where your journals are mailed).

all best,

Leila

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD