AAA 2012 *roundtable* -- Professional divides: Journalists & anthropologists discuss language, representation, news practice, social impact

Colleen Cotter c.m.cotter at QMUL.AC.UK
Fri Apr 13 00:34:44 UTC 2012

Hello, all ~

After informal discussion with the Language and Social Justice
Committee, I have been organizing a roundtable to bring journalists
and linguistic anthropologists together to talk about language and
social issues, the role of the news media as a help or a hindrance,
and the extent to which academia can impact journalism practice,
particularly with respect to vulnerable communities. The ongoing
problematic use of terms of reference -- for immigrants, for example
-- is one such case. The recent Trayvon Martin 911 transcript ?edit?
is another.

The three Bay Area journalists, who come with a range of backgrounds,
histories, and perspectives, will participate, in effect, as our
ethnographic informants. Unlike the standard panel format, there will
be opportunities for the audience to engage as well.

**My question**: Is there anyone -- whose research (ideally US-based)
involves social-justice or community issues, media representation, or
newsroom ethnography -- who does not have a primary role in the
upcoming meeting, who would like to be officially part of the
roundtable? Influence the discussion?

The three journalists won?t be listed on the program (as the $383
non-member registration is a bit much for a 1.75-hour favor to us).
Because of that, there?s space for more participants.

No need to provide an abstract in this ?presenter? role. Just contact
me: c.m.cotter at qmul.ac.uk. (NB: A roundtable "presenter" is a primary
role.)

The roundtable title is: Professional divides: Journalists and
anthropologists in conversation about language, representation, news
practice, and social impact.

Thank you!
Colleen

Colleen Cotter
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor)
Linguistics Department
School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS
UK