your favorite words from disappearing languages

Jenn Wheeler jennwheeler at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 4 05:11:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm a creative person who is working on a little project with disappearing
languages & art. I was hoping you would like to help me out and let me know
your favorite word(s) from a disappearing language OR from a native
language, from any location in the world. *If you're able to provide me
with just the word, and the language* I can do the extra work to find out
where it is spoken & how many speakers are still active. (Disappearing
languages of course might have one or millions of speakers currently, but
if no one is learning the language in new generations it would be
considered disappearing...)

An an example:
Aymara: *nayra* (spoken mostly throughout Bolivia and Peru)
        When an Aymaran speaker is discussing the past, their hand gestures
refer to the past as being infront of them and the future as behind them
(the opposite to how we might conventionally understand our placement of
time). To the Aymara, the word for past, nayra, is also the word for eye.
The past is therefore referred to being infront of you because you have
seen it. The future, behind us, is unknown, as it is visually inaccessible.

Also very open to any links or articles you might like to share. I will be
happy to share the results of the art project with anyone who is
interested.
Questions welcome & thank you!

Warm regards,
Jennifer

--
approach everything with joy, acceptance or excitement.