Discrimination against faculty with foreign accents-- Follow-up

Cynthia Dunn cyndi.dunn at UNI.EDU
Thu Jan 12 14:29:47 UTC 2012

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has suggested names or sent messages
of support.

I wanted to clarify something that was unclear in my initial email: These
are not current cases.  They were discovered as a result of the union
analysis of recent cases of negative tenure decisions (4 out of 7 cases in
which the administration overruled the recommendation of the department).
I do not know if any of the cases were contested at the time; there is no
plan to contest them now.  Our purpose at this point is educational.  We
would like to work with the administration to help create policies and
procedures-- and even more importantly, knowledge and attitudes-- to try to
minimize the possibility of such discrimination occurring in the future.

Again,  thanks to everyone who sent advice, suggestions, and support.  The
linganth group is the greatest!

Cyndi

Cyndi Dunn
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Dept. of Sociology, Anthropology & Criminology
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls IA 50614-0513 U.S.A.

(319) 273-6251
Cyndi.Dunn at uni.edu