AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc): a few more

Laura Brown l.c.brown at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Tue Jan 17 19:13:11 UTC 2012

Thanks for sharing some very helpful suggestions. Here are a few of my
favorites:

“Helvetica” (useful in discussions of style and distinction,
standardization, language and political economy)
http://www.helveticafilm.com/

 Sketch from “A Bit of Frye and Laurie” useful for discussing refrence and
as a lead-in to linguistic relativity-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5iW6H5Rh0&feature=BFa&list=PLC41A1610BAFF90CE&lf=mh_lolz

Russell Peters sketch “Hello in Indian”: Applies to pragmatics/ translation-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQqzROAZZQ0&feature=BFa&list=PLC41A1610BAFF90CE&lf=mh_lolz

 Kumail Nanjiani – "Racists”: Discussion of markedness-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBXn-owyAE&feature=bf_prev&list=PLC41A1610BAFF90CE&lf=mh_lolz

 “Why do I need subtitles”: Politics of translation-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN666q3ptAU

"My Mom's Name is Jean?": Discussion of deixis-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmN1UsoZRkg

Suriya’s Aircel Ads (first two only): silly lead-in to deixis-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBK3ZcGrYHU&feature=autoplay&list=PL0A2BFF294A1ACC18&lf=plpp_video&playnext=1

best wishes,

Laura Brown

lcb32 at pitt.edu