Fwd: Academics' talk

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 24 05:48:17 UTC 2012

Michael Silverstein alerted me to work on the subject by Allen Grimshaw,
who passed away last year. Here is a link to his obituary:

http://www.asanet.org/footnotes/septoct11/obit_0911.html#obit_2

The obit has this to say about his work on professional discourse:

"Later, Allen turned his attention to professional discourse, and embarked
on an influential research project where scholars from different
disciplines were asked to analyze the same transcript of a doctoral
dissertation defense. The result was publication of the monograph Collegial
Discourse: Professional Conversation Among Peers (Ablex, 1989) and the
edited volume What’s Going on Here? Complementary Studies of Professional
Talk (Ablex, 1994), which continue to be major contributions to the field
of sociolinguistics."

- Kerim

--

 *P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩 <http://kerim.oxus.net/>*