refusing to support Elsevier

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Thu Jan 26 09:02:33 UTC 2012

Christine makes some excellent points, and I want to point out that members of the AAA should be asking tough questions to our exec board about our association's publishing strategy. Anthrosource has been billed as a great advantage to members, but librarians see it as just another bundle and it is expensive. With all due respect to my anthropological colleagues (most likely not on this list), not all of those AAA journals are relevant, let alone heavily used, by readers at University of Aberdeen.

-Alex

On 26 Jan 2012, at 3:49 am, Christine Corcoran wrote:

> From 2000 to the end of 2008, I managed the publication of fifteen
> different journals  at the University of Chicago Press including
> Current Anthropology and the International Journal of American
> Linguistics, and I have many thoughts on this topic. I don't feel able
> to condense them all at the moment.
>
> But, I will say whatever problems there may be with university presses
> or with any university press in particular, I find those issues are
> always potential problems in the for-profit publishing world. And
> since university presses exist to publish important but not
> traditionally considered commercially viable work, they are always
> more responsible and responsive publishing partners. Whatever culture
> may exist between a press and a journal office, it is always more
> malleable than one with a commercial publisher. Unfortunately
> societies and journal offices don't always know what all of their
> options are or what really is negotiable. But these include everything
> from what sort of expertise copy editors should posses to what price
> to set for reproducing a single copyrighted article.

Senior Lecturer - University of Aberdeen, School of Social Sciences,  AB24 3QY, UK, +44(1224) 272732

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology/staff/details.php?id=a.king
http://www.koryaks.net/
Tweet @Ememqut01

Editor, Sibirica: Interdisciplinary Journal of Siberian Studies: http://journals.berghahnbooks.com/sib/