New publishing venture: Elm Books

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 9 03:05:35 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

There is currently a huge disconnect between doing academic work including
conference papers and other writing and getting paid for that work.  The
traditional model of this work counting towards tenure files does not work
well when over half of the people in academia are not in tenure track
positions.  Given this, I am starting a small e-publishing company, Elm
Books (http://elm-books.com), that includes an academic publishing division
that will focus on collections of accessible and relevant short pieces
(2000-5000 words) geared towards upper level high school and beginning
college students.  I see this as being a perfect venue for papers from
coherent, accessible conference sessions. Royalties will be 30% to editor/s
of the work, 30% to the authors.  Work will available in reasonably priced
e-form. Collections that you think might be appropriate for use in your own
classes is particularly solicited.  Longer cross-genre work is also welcome.
Also welcome are people interested in being part of the initial editorial
board of Elm Books Academic Division.

The Elm Books website will debut November 15.  The deadline for work to be
considered for the initial debut is August 15, but submissions are welcome
anytime. I am happy to discuss the possibility of publishing conference
papers from future meetings such as the 2012 American Anthropological
Association meeting in San Francisco.  Please address all questions,
queries and comments to me at this address.

Best wishes,

Leila

Leila.Monaghan at gmail.com

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD

Departments of Anthropology and History
  and Wyoming Institute for Disability Studies
University of Wyoming

Department of Behavioral and Health Sciences
University of Maryland University College