Query about using the Internet for historical-linguistic research

Dave Paulson dave.paulson at TEMPLE.EDU
Tue Nov 20 13:08:45 UTC 2012

Dear Yazan,

One interesting feature on the internet is Google's Ngram Viewer, which
allows you to search for frequencies of words as they appear throughout the
entire Google Books corpus. You can then search through the statistical
data for a more detailed analysis.

Program: http://books.google.com/ngrams
FAQ: http://books.google.com/ngrams/info

This corpus includes all of their scanned texts from 1800 - 2008. So it
might not be directly relevant for a historical perspective on terminology
pertaining to the Arab Spring, but it is an interesting resource on the web
for generating this kind of information as it appears in print. Hope this
finds you well.

All the best,
Dave

--