BBC radio series on language diversity and endangerment

Laura M. Ahearn ahearn at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Nov 27 11:46:32 UTC 2012

Dear All,

BBC will be airing a three-part radio series on language policy,
language diversity, and language endangerment beginning next week --
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6zpl>. It will be presented by Mark
Turin and will focus on Nepal, South Africa, and New York City.  Scroll
down for more details.

Laura

*****************************
Laura M. Ahearn
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Rutgers University
131 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
http://www.anthro.rutgers.edu/fac/department-undergrad-a-grad-faculty/laura-ahearn

Living Language: An Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/book/10.1002/9781444340563

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

First of all, apologies for any cross-posting.

I thought that you might be interested to know about a three-part series that I am presenting on BBC Radio 4 on themes of language diversity, endangerment and policy that starts next week.

The first episode, recorded in Nepal over the summer, airs from 11:00-11:30am GMT on Monday, 3 December, 2012. Alongside analogue and digital radio transmission in the UK, the programme will be streamed live online:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/>.

The series has its own set of web pages on the BBC site:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6zpl>

Episodes two and three cover the linguistic landscape of South Africa and New York City, and will be aired 11:00-11:30am on Monday 10 and Monday 17 December respectively.

Radio 4 staff assure me that the programmes will be archived as podcasts for the foreseeable future.

All the very best, and feel free to send the message on to anyone you think may be interested,

     Mark

---
Mark Turin

Program Director