Anthro News Blog conversation on immigration

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 11 14:43:31 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that the first two pieces on immigration
and language in the Language and Culture blog at the Anthro News site have
been published.  The first is Jonathan Rosa's piece on the "Drop the I-Word
Campaign," arguing against the use of the term "illegal immigrant."  The
second is Colleen Cotter's on how the journalism profession has used the
term.

http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/10/10/challenging-terms-of-reference/

http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/10/09/contesting-representations-of-immigration/

Two more pieces by Hilary Dick and Alejandro Paz are to come.  These pieces
are part of a new strategy of fostering conversations on a specific issue
to be published as a group.  I have been very happy with the high level of
discussions that took place between members of the group while they were
hashing out their pieces and welcome suggestions for further conversations.
 For December, we are doing a conversation on language and religion.  Drop
me a note if you are interested in participating.

all best,

Leila

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD