RIP John Gumperz

Colleen Cotter c.m.cotter at QMUL.AC.UK
Tue Apr 2 08:13:40 UTC 2013

As Richard said, the first (non-Facebook) news came through via Jef
Verschueren at IPrA. Below are links from Greg Myers (via the BAAL
member list).

I was in John's last seminar in my first semester at Berkeley (playing
hooky from the linguistics department), and have always appreciated
his warmth and generosity as a scholar. (He came to my first-ever
academic talk as a grad student at the BLS conference, and his smiling
face was reassuring.) Marco Jacquemet's AAA panel last November
brought so many of us who value the scholar and the person together.
Thanks again, Marco and co.

Colleen Cotter
Linguistics Department
School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS
UK

----- Forwarded message from baal.chair at gmail.com -----
     Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:57:20 +0100
     From: BAAL Chair <baal.chair at gmail.com>
  Subject: [Baalmail] John J. Gumperz, 1922-2013
       To: baalmail at lists.leeds.ac.uk

BAAL Members:

You may already have seen notices of the death of John Gumperz on 29 March
in Santa Barbara.  His work had a great intellectual and personal influence
on a number of members of BAAL, in such areas as interactional
sociolinguistics, the ethnography of communication, communicative
competence, intercultural communication, and many other fields.

There are some biographical materials here:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/ANTH/emeritus/gumperz/gumpbio.html

One recent set of scholarly tributes is here:
http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/text.2011.31.issue-4/issue-files/text.2011.31.issue-4.xml

A more detailed obituary will follow.

Greg Myers

----- End forwarded message -----