accessible DA articles on new media

galey modan gmodan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 6 15:25:26 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm teaching an undergrad discourse analysis class next semester, and I'm
looking for some accessible articles analyzing text messaging, facebook,
tumblr, etc. that I can use to illustrate basic discourse analytic topics
-- turn-taking, politeness, implicature, adjacency pairs, reported speech,
etc. I've been searching around but so far I haven't found anything that
focuses centrally enough on basic concepts that's also appropriate for
undergrads with no linguistics background and little experience reading
academic articles.

thanks for any suggestions --

Galey Modan