accessible DA articles on new media

Susan Seizer sseizer at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Dec 9 02:37:14 UTC 2013

May I suggest my colleague Ilana Gershon's 2012 book Breakup 2.0, which is an ethnographic look at how college students use Facebook, texting, etc to communicate about and with each other. I think it would be appropriate for undergrads with no linguistics background, and encourage a bit of reflexivity on their parts too, making it a fun read.

best,
susan

On Dec 6, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Dick, Hilary wrote:

> Hello, colleagues--
>
> This 2011 edited volume has a number of useful articles, many of which, I
> have found, undergraduates enjoy:
> *Digital Discourse*. Ed. C. Thurlow and K. Mrockek. New York: Oxford
> University Press.
>
> Best,
> Hilary
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM, galey modan <gmodan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm teaching an undergrad discourse analysis class next semester, and I'm
>> looking for some accessible articles analyzing text messaging, facebook,
>> tumblr, etc. that I can use to illustrate basic discourse analytic topics
>> -- turn-taking, politeness, implicature, adjacency pairs, reported speech,
>> etc. I've been searching around but so far I haven't found anything that
>> focuses centrally enough on basic concepts that's also appropriate for
>> undergrads with no linguistics background and little experience reading
>> academic articles.
>>
>> thanks for any suggestions --
>>
>> Galey Modan
>>

> --
> HILARY PARSONS DICK, PhD
> Assistant Professor of International Studies
> Department of Historical and Political Studies
> * Arcadia University*
> <http://www.arcadia.edu/faculty/hilary-parsons-dick/>
> <dickh at arcadia.edu>

Susan Seizer