Reviews on Ling Anthro in the US?

Nathaniel Dumas ndumas at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Feb 22 18:19:03 UTC 2013

Thanks all for the recommendation on Duranti's piece. When I read that
article now in light of the course I am designing, I remain curious
about the way it positions paradigms as perspectives that are amenable
to circulation to other non-US sites while much of these ideas were
developed within broader sociohistorical circumstances in the US,
including the demographic changes of its practitioners, particularly
people of color in the discipline. So it is, in a sense, part of the
moves by cultural anthropologists to look at the ways that partial
Americanist ideas of theory circulate to non-US contexts (if we
position theory as a form of cultural production via Cattelino's
understanding of Anthro of the US in her 2010 ARA article). But, as I
read it, the article doesn't exactly (a) interrogate how a focus on
the US makes us rethink particular issues in linguistic anthropology
methods, theory, and practice and (b), on a related note, if what
linguistic anthropology offers perspectives on the US is roughly the
same as what it could offer anywhere, with not much detail to
researcher positionality (i.e., if you're what Cattelino calls a first-
instance US anthropologist, where your first work is in the US, or one
in which you do fieldwork in the US after research abroad, which the
discipline has conventionally encouraged for various reasons but does
not examine the way in which the US is framed differently in these
ethnographies as an object of study.)

This could make a great panel for next year's meetings for the Society
for the Anthropology of North America, if anybody's interesting in co-
organizing a new project with me.

Much respect,
Nate

On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Dave Paulson wrote:

> Dear Nathaniel,
>
> I would recommend Duranti's "Language as Culture in U.S.
> Anthropology."
>
> http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/368118
>
> *Abstract*
> *
> *
> The study of language as culture in U.S. anthropology is a set of
> distinct
> and often not fully compatible practices that can be made sense of
> through
> the identification of three historically related paradigms. Whereas
> the
> first paradigm, initiated by Boas, was mostly devoted to
> documentation,
> grammatical description, and classification (especially of North
> American
> indigenous languages) and focused on linguistic relativity, the second
> paradigm, developed in the 1960s, took advantage of new recording
> technology and new theoretical insights to examine language use in
> context,
> introducing new units of analysis such as the speech event. Although
> it was
> meant to be part of anthropology at large, it marked an intellectual
> separation from the rest of anthropology. The third paradigm, with its
> focus on identity formation, narrativity, and ideology, constitutes
> a new
> attempt to connect with the rest of anthropology by extending
> linguistic
> methods to the study of issues previously identified in other
> (sub)fields.
> Although each new paradigm has reduced the influence and appeal of the
> preceding one, all three paradigms persist today, and confrontation of
> their differences is in the best interest of the discipline.
>
> All the best,
> Dave Paulson
>
> --
> Dave Paulson
> PhD Student & University Fellow
> Temple University, Department of Anthropology
> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
> United States

Nathaniel Dumas
Visiting Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Linguistics
University of California, Santa Barbara
http://ucsb.academia.edu/NathanielDumas/About

NOTE: I have irregular access to email during the weekends. If you
sent your message after 5 PM on Friday, I will respond to it when I
return to the office on Monday.