Fwd: Updated Syllabus

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 14 00:05:36 UTC 2013

A call for papers for any East Coast grad students working on Native
American language who aren't going to be at the AAAs.

all best,

Leila

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Saul Schwartz <sschwart at princeton.edu>
Date: Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

*Translation in American Indian Studies*

*American Indian Studies Working Group*

*Princeton University*

Princeton University’s American Indian Studies Working Group invites paper
proposals for its first annual interdisciplinary graduate student
conference, to be held on November 23, 2013. We are also very excited to
announce that Philip Round will be attending as our keynote speaker. This
year’s conference focuses on the role of interpretation and translation
within and between languages and cultures in American Indian studies and
related disciplines.

Before contact with Europeans, interlingual and intercultural
interpretation played a key role in economic, political, social, and
cultural relations among North America’s indigenous peoples. After contact
with Europeans, indigenous and European traditions of interpretation and
translation were essential modes of producing knowledge and mediating
relations between natives and newcomers. Today, translation and
interpretation continue to be important in Pan-Indian movements and global
indigenous networks; the circulation of Indian art, literature, religious
practices, and traditions within and beyond Indian Country; interactions
between Natives, scholars, and policymakers; and communication across
disciplines with various investments in Indian practices and products as
objects of inquiry.

Possible topics for papers include the role of interpretation and
translation within and between languages and cultures in:

• Indian history and cross-national relations.

• colonial processes and anticolonial resistance.

• the production of scholarly knowledge about Indian peoples by
anthropologists, historians, linguists, biologists, etc.

• the production and circulation of Native traditions.

• mutual stereotyping between Indians and non-Indians.

• language politics and preservation (documentation, revitalization, etc.),
including issues related to dialects of Indian languages and English, as
well as contestations of nomenclature.

• Pan-Indianism, global indigenous networks, and their opposites
(factionalism within and among communities, emphasis on more local
identities)

• communication between American Indian studies and other disciplines
interested in Indian practices and products.

We welcome papers from graduate students working in various disciplines and
departments.
Speakers will have 20 minutes to present, and papers will be organized into
panels with faculty respondents. Presenters are also encouraged to
participate in a roundtable on the state of American Indian studies as a
field. Please submit a CV and 250-word abstract in PDF format to
PAISWG at gmail.com by August 31, 2013. Authors will be notified by September
15, 2013.

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD