Request for Suggestion re Work on "Voluntad"

Dick, Hilary dickh at ARCADIA.EDU
Tue Jun 25 16:09:33 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues--

I am wondering of any of Latin Americanists on the list know of
anthropological (or related) scholarship that explicates the cultural
concept of "voluntad" (will; free will; desire--it has multiple valences)
in Latin America, especially Mexico.

I am particularly, though not exclusively, interested in its significance
in Mexican Catholicism and its associated concepts of personhood. After a
decently thorough search through the literature, I have not had
particularly good luck finding scholarship that unpacks either the wider
intellectual and cultural history of this concept, or its more situated use
in specific contexts.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Sincerely,
Hilary Dick

--
HILARY PARSONS DICK, PhD
Assistant Professor of International Studies